Friday, November 30, 2012

They think I'm stupid . . .


RV Gate Valves - You Should Know

The opening and closing of the gate valves on an RV should be a simple task. Why would they say it's likely my fault they aren't closing properly?

My RV is equipped with loads of "the fancy." I have always loved the gadgets and buttons and electronics. I guess you could say I'm a techie. One of the things that most newer RVs are equipped with, I've been told, is the cable system that opens and closes the gate valves to the holding tanks. There is one old fashioned kind under the trailer that you simply pull push and it opens and closes with absolutely no difficulty whatsoever. I highly recommend having these gate valves if at all possible. When I first purchased the RV, the gate valves that use the pulley system, grey 1 tank and the black tank, went all the way in, flush with the trailer wall (see picture). After about a week, neither of the valves would go all the way back in. In fact, when I took my hand away after pushing in to close the valves, pressure would push them slightly back out. The amount the levers protrude from the trailer are actually more now than in this picture. One of my neighbors here in the campground told me it was like pushing a rope uphill.

My concern was obvious: the gates aren't closing there will be leaks! I did some testing with running water and standing outside to see if any water was running out even with the valves closed. Sure enough, the grey 1 valve wasn't closing all the way and there was water running out. Luckily, that was not the case with the black tank... yet!

I contacted the dealer to let them know of my concern and I got a reply that it's likely something that I am doing wrong. Now, these are levers that you pull out to empty and push back in to close; how could anyone get that wrong? I realize that I am a "newbie" ... but come on!

Finally, a RV mobile repair came out to look at my trailer. Believe it or not, it wasn't just me! He foud that Keystone, the maker of my RV, had placed the aluminum framing on top of my cables and thereby pinching them. He said that the cables are housed in a plastic casing (similar to that of bicycle hand brakes). He maneuvered in some way and got the cables un-pinched. He also said that they should work... for a while. However, it is likely that eventually they will have to be rerouted. WHAT!?!?! Did the manufacturer not notice this prior to building it?


Stay tuned... I just got my heated water hose in today and will be installing that tomorrow. I will keep you posted on how "well" it works!

Happy Camping!

Join my email list and follow me on my journey.

4 comments:

  1. Great information to know. I also noticed you use a Rhino Flex when disposing...well...you know. oddly enough about, ohhhh, maybe 4-5 years ago we bought our first Rhino Flex. It was recommended to us buy another RVer. However he did say that they leaked a bit where you connected them to your RV. However my dad is a great handyman (works at Boeing) and fixed it quite easily. I can't for the life of me remember why we had to get another one, but we did and the manufacturer's error was correct. of course when we sold our 2002 11.5' Limited Edition Alpenlite camper with the slideout, we forgot to get it (they're stored in the "bumper" of our old camper, I.e. where you would step on to get in the camper.

    So, we will be buying a new one once summer hits. All for now. Please blog again soon as I would love to follow your adventures.

    ~Snyder~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had any issues with the Rhino as of yet. I wish they would make the top part of it clear. That would help when running the "Sani-flush" system to know when all is clean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, hey! Glad you were able to take the time to write back. Hello from Washington state!
    Good to hear that...the no issues part. And that's a good idea - making the top part of the Rhino clear. Actually, wouldn't it make more sense to make the bottom part clear? Funny enough, my dad and I have brought up that idea before. Anyway, have a great day.

    ~Snyder~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bottom part (that goes into the sewer) is actually a cloudy plastic and you can see the liquids going through. However, I think the top portion would be best clear for those that have the "sani-flush" system as it's important to know when the water begins to run clear prior to shutting it off. Also, having it at the top, the "visual of it all" is less obvious to the fellow campers.

      Delete