Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Beginning of My Journey


I am now one week into my third month as a full-time RVer. So, let me catch you up...
This past summer, I started thinking that I had had enough of the hum drum, day-to-day work schedule and following someone else's rules. I am an educator by trade (accounting to be specific). I have been teaching for over ten years and I enjoy it quite a bit. As I am getting older, recognizing the mortality of my parents and how little time we all have together, I have started to realize that life is so very short.
Therefore, I started to think of ways that I could start enjoying life prior to reaching retirement (if such a thing will even exist when I get to that point). After talking with my friends and family, I decided that fulltime RVing may be the solution. I had "camped" my whole life with my family but never really knew the ends and outs of taking care of the RV.

I started looking at RVs: motorhomes, fifth-wheels, travel trailers. I had 100% decided on a motorhome. My logic was that it was self-contained (i.e. generator, washer/dryer - I need these things - ha ha ha). I also decided that going new was the best option for me as this was going to be an investment... my home! The prices I was looking at was a minimum of $130,000. Just before I purchased, I decided just to look at the fifth-wheels to see if there was something that struck my fancy. I learned that you could get MUCH more RV for half the money. Sounds GREAT! But wait... you have to have a big truck to pull it with.

I guess I should digress a bit... I have never driven anything bigger than a BMW X5 (small SUV)... and that was BIG to me. So, the thought of driving a big class A motorhome was a bit overwhelming and scary. All that to say, I decided on a VIZION by FUZION (by Keystone)... shew, that gets confusing -- A 38' fifth wheel. It seemed to have everything that I wanted. I started out making a list of things that the RV absolutely had to have for me to be comfortable (NO RV WILL BE PERFECT!). My list of absolutes was: (1) a bed that is at least 60 x 80 - this will be important for the "talls" - This is your home so you want to be comfortable while you rest; (2) a generator - generator ready: I want to be able to have air conditioning when I am parked overnight at a truck-stop getting from point A to point B (I guess I'm a big high maintenance); (3) I wanted a couch that I could lay down on while watching TV; (4) washer/dryer. The third one was actually the more difficult to fine in an RV. Do people not lay down on couches anymore? Most couches were two seaters. The couch on the VIZION was a wrap-around in a slide-out.
Okay, so I got the 2012 VIZION for $53,000 + $6000 for the washer/dryer and 5.5k onan generator, installed. If you live in a state with sales tax, don't forget to tack that on... My final total was approximately $63,000. Now, I still have to get the truck.
As I mentioned earlier, I wanted to purchase new as this is a big investment that I want to last a long long time. The truck would be an extension of my "home" and the getting it from one place to another. I also like to know that I am "covered" no matter what may happen. I did a lot of looking for used F350s. Luckily, my parents came out for a visit and my Dad helped me look for a truck. I am literally CLUELESS. That is why I am writing this blog so that others that are thinking of embarking on this endeavor can learn from my "mistakes"... I have lots to share, already! Anyway, we looked everywhere for the perfect truck. As with the RV absolutes, I had a list for the truck as well: (1) four doors (2) long bed. Okay, let me explain the long bed requirement. My Dad has a short bed and also has a fifth-wheel RV. Because of having a short-bed you have to have a hitch that rolls back (moves). Having a long-bed alleviates this. I figured the less I had to do the better. So, after an exhausting look for the perfect truck, I ended up with a 2012 F250. My Dad said that the F350 and F250 have the same engine. The only difference is that the 350 has an extra spring (I don't know... I trust him).
That's my introduction... So, here I am, I have my truck and RV. I have not yet purchased the hitch as I am staying here until next September. However, I have lots of stories ALREADY to share. Join my email list and follow me on Hubpages so that you get all the new posts. This is going to be an exciting journey and I want you to share in my experiences!
Happy Camping!

No comments:

Post a Comment